design your future.
engineer your success.
Mechanical Engineer – Oakland , CA, US
Department: Facilities Operations Management
Location: Oakland , CA, US
Mechanical Engineer, Oakland, CA
NIKA is looking for an experienced Mechanical Engineer to provide support services for the Civil Engineering Unit Oakland for the United States Coast Guard.
Named a “Top Workplace” by the Washington Post, NIKA is a well-established company that is focused on growth within an entrepreneurial environment. We work with governments to design, build and manage real property by combining facilities operations management, engineering, and architecture all under one roof. When you become part of the NIKA team, you join an organization that encourages collaboration, vision and personal development.
Education & Training
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher education in Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, Vapor Compression Cycle, and Fluid Mechanics preferred
- Professional Engineering (PE) license is preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in mechanical engineering and design experience in plumbing, fuel piping, and/or fire protection
- In-depth project management expertise to include managing complex, multi-discipline, multi-faced projects related to real property facilities
- Including planning, designing, cost estimating, contracting support, and construction management of individual projects
- Be able to provide detailed analytical and problem-solving skills addressing complex technical and engineering problems, and the ability to bring them to a resolution
- In-depth design experience in mechanical engineering with emphasis in Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning (HVAC), Plumbing, Fuel Piping and/or Fire Protection
- Including the ability to prepare plans and details, write specifications and perform calculations (sometimes using state of the art computer-aided analytical support) in support of the design objectives
- Be able to prepare designs and calculations in compliance with nationally accepted building and seismic codes in accordance with Coast Guard guidance and be able to evaluate and manage the work of other designers to achieve design objectives
- Knowledge of Computerized HVAC load calculations, Energy Codes, Energy Simulation by using eQuest or EnergyPlus, Bin Data Analysis, Psychometrics Analysis, Life Cycle Cost Analysis, etc.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Windows 10, MS Office, and Federal Government Contracting (Federal Acquisition Regulations) are highly desirable
- Must be a U.S. citizen, able to obtain security clearance.
NIKA delivers comprehensive services and solutions to support the full life cycle of facilities. For more than two decades, the Department of Defense and federal civilian agencies, as well as commercial and higher education institutions, have trusted NIKA to design, build, operate, and manage their real property. By combining facilities operations management, engineering, and architecture services, we provide value and expertise for complex and mission critical facilities. Headquartered in Rockville, MD with offices in San Antonio, TX, NIKA helps clients enhance operational excellence in locations around the globe.
NIKA is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.