design your future.
engineer your success.
Mechanical Systems Engineer – El Paso, TX, US
Mechanical Systems Engineer
Department: Facilities Operations Management
Location: El Paso, TX, US
NIKA is hiring for a Mechanical Systems Engineer to provide continuous on-site SME (subject matter expert) support at the Fort Bliss Replacement Hospital Complex, Central Utility Plant, and Clinical Investigation Building in El Paso, TX!
Named a “Top Workplace” by the Washington Post, NIKA is a well-established company that is focused on growth within an entrepreneurial environment. We work with governments to design, build and manage real property by combining facilities operations management, engineering, and architecture all under one roof.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field preferred
- Minimum of fifteen (15) to twenty (20) years of combined experience working in a Major Hospital/Clinic patient environment in one or more of the following capacities: Superintendent of plant operations; Manager of Maintenance Operations; Construction Project Manager; or Quality Control of Maintenance Operations
- Minimum of fifteen (15) to twenty (20) years of experience working with Hospital/Clinic mechanical systems, including, but not limited to, the following systems and components – HVAC/R, Chill Water Thermal Storage, domestic H/C water, domestic water booster systems, domestic hot water & circulation pumps, reverse osmosis, deionized water, sump pumps, natural gas, medical gas; and related mechanical systems and controls
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of applicable criteria specified in Latest Edition of The Joint Commission Hospital Accreditation Standards, Standard EC.02.06.05; ASHE Publication – FGI Guidelines for Design and Construction of Health Care Facilities, 2014 Edition; NFPA 90A; Latest Edition ASHRAE Standard 170; and UFC 4-510-01
- Demonstrated background and extensive knowledge of HVAC commissioning processes, including all aspects of test and balance criteria
- Extensive knowledge of Fort Bliss Directorate of Public Works processes, where interaction with
- MEDCOM activities is required
- Expert knowledge of DMLSS Real Property Inventory Equipment (RPIE) and task procedures associated with Major Hospital mechanical systems and components
- Applicable OSHA Certification, or equivalent; American Society of Hospital Engineers (ASHE) Health Care Construction Certification, or equivalent; and Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Certification, or equivalent
- Evaluates schedules; works performance quality, safety oversight, and coordination effectiveness; performs documentation reviews for all repair and mechanical systems work in progress or in planning stages
- Reports to COR or other appropriate Government officials
- Ensures conformance with NFPA codes, JCAHO standards, safety standards, and other agency criteria
- Coordinates with facility infection control officers to insure compliance
- Coordinates with facility safety officers to implement effective safety policies
- Reports compliance issues to COR or other applicable Government official for action by the Government
- Monitors mechanical systems contractor quality control activities and makes appropriate recommendations to COR for Government action
- Is present at utility outages to provide engineering and contractor support
- Attends and participates in pre-construction, staff, in-progress-reviews, and other project-related meetings, and provides reports to COR or appropriate Government officials
- Coordinates with various stakeholders to include Facilities, Logistics, Med Maintenance, the construction contractor, Regional Facilities staff, DPW PM staff, and project-related Corps of Engineers staff
- Provides a written weekly report to government officials in order to apprise them of project status, as necessary
- Must have strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Experience using broad conceptual judgment, initiative and ability to deal with complex issues
- Excellent communication and listening skills and the ability to communicate with various levels within the organization
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and other MS Office suite products required
- Ability to learn and use company software tools
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work under the pressure of multiple deadlines
- Extremely high level of attention to detail and the ability to take initiative and adapt quickly to changing requirements
NIKA delivers comprehensive services and solutions to support the full life cycle of facilities. For more than two decades, the Department of Defense and federal civilian agencies, as well as commercial and higher education institutions, have trusted NIKA to design, build, operate, and manage their real property. By combining facilities operations management, engineering, and architecture services, we provide value and expertise for complex and mission critical facilities. Headquartered in Rockville, MD with offices in San Antonio, TX, NIKA helps clients enhance operational excellence in locations around the globe.
NIKA is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.